Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hanami


In the dead of winter, Mike kindly reminded me that the cherry blossom hanami season in Japan would be a perfect place to celebrate my birthday. But I selfishly thought Mike was making the suggestion because he was aching to go back to one of our favorite places in the world. I quickly kiboshed the idea, stating I'd rather be on a beach somewhere. That is until my instagram feed filled up with images of hanafubuki or falling cherry blossom petals.

Sakura season to many Japanese represents a concept called "wabi-sabi" or a sense of imperfection, impermanence and incompleteness. A reminder that beauty is fleeting and in constant transformation.  Very fitting for a spring birthday, don't you think? Spring also represents new beginnings so I think I will start planning my next birthday now because when the cherry and fruit trees in Portland start to burst I truly feel a sense of renewal. 

Photos from Hello Sandwich here and here.

No comments: